Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Topo Loco

I have fallen in a bit of a slump when it comes to cooking my weekly meals. I think it happened a few weeks ago, when my mom came to town. The fridge was full, the weather got real cold, so in between snacking at home and going out to eat (A LOT) I sort of got out of practice, and perhaps a little used to eating out/picking up take out.
I think I even saw some tumbleweeds breeze on through the fridge the few times I opened it these last couple weeks. However, I went to the farmers market on Sunday, which always gets me back in the mood, and my sister did a little shopping, so we seem to be back in business.
She wanted a little help cooking the other night, but my main task was to keep the drinks flowing, something I am no stranger to and always have fun doing.
Tequila was the spirit of choice, and luckily I had a very cold bottle of Dulce Vida Tequila from the I LOVE YOU party seen here that I photographed last week. Dulce Vida is 100% organic and 100 proof, so double wow and it's pretty tasty stuff!
I've never really been a big margarita person, mainly because standard margs use that neon colored sweet and sour mix that gives me a belly ache. So, this is my take on a margi and I vary it depending on what juice is available. The standard recipe is this:

- Blanco Tequila (in this case Dulce Vida Blanco)
- Large Limes (I use one per cocktail)
- Topo Chico
- *Juice or fizzy drink of your liking (I used Central Market brand Blood Orange)
- Jalapeno for garnish
- Sea Salt


Fill your glass with ice
Add one shot (1oz) of ice cold tequila
squeeze the juice of one large lime
fill the rest with topo chico
*if you want a little sweet, you can add a splash of juice/fizzy
throw in a slice of jalapeno for some bite
drop in a pinch of sea salt
Drink up!

*Disclaimer - Try not to have more than three (3) on a school night, or you may not feel so fresh the following day...like we did yesterday :/


No comments:

Post a Comment